Businesses want to communicate clearly and easily with employees and customers for unforgettable service. However, when your traditional phone systems or cell phones are just not cutting it, you may want to consider VOIP, or Voice Over Internet Protocol.
VOIP, sometimes called IP telephony or internet telephony, is a technology that allows individuals to make voice calls using a broadband internet connection instead of a regular (analog) phone line like plain old telephone service. Users can make voice calls and even video conferencing from a computer, smartphone, or other mobile device using internet protocol and WebRTC-enabled browsers.
VOIP phone providers often include other features that can’t be found on traditional business phones, including custom caller ID, call recording, and voicemail to email. Overall, it’s beneficial to organizations as a way to streamline communication services and get rid of traditional telephone service. Read on to learn more about how voice over IP works, VOIP phones, and how they can benefit your business.
The fundamental difference between making phone calls with a VoIP phone and a landline desk phone system is that a VoIP phone uses an internet connection to transmit digital data between devices, while traditional landline uses physical wires to transmit analog signals. Many people choose VOIP phones over landline phones because there is less startup cost involved and calls can be made using the internet, saving money on long-distance charges. Additionally, VOIP services can offer many other features and communications services like instant messaging, video conferencing, call routing, and more.
To make understanding how phone calls using a VOIP system works, we’ve broken it down in to the following steps:
- Your VOIP phone connects to your switch or router in your Local Area Network.
- When you dial a telephone number, your IP phone tells your VOIP service provider to call the other party.
- Your VOIP service establishes the call and exchanges data packets from your IP phone.
- Your VOIP phone converts these digital signals back into the sound you can hear.
There are many benefits of using VOIP technology over landlines, including the following:
- Lower cost: With lower hardware and set-up costs, VOIP phones are less expensive to scale. Many businesses experience substantial savings by switching to VOIP technology.
- High-quality sound: VOIP phones are equipped with HD call quality to ensure that audio isn’t muffled or fuzzy for crystal clear calls. This can drastically improve your communications with clients and customers.
- Advanced features: Many IP phones are equipped with premium features such as call recording, call queues, and auto attendants, allowing your team to more easily manage calls.
- International calls: International and long-distance rates are low with VOIP phones, making it a great investment in your multinational business.
- Business phone numbers for a remote work team: With VOIP phones, you can use your phone service with any IP network, which makes it a great feature for remote teams.
- On-the-go flexibility: You’ll stay connected, even when you’re not at your desk. VOIP technology gives you the ability to reroute your communications services to a mobile phone or computer.
At AD Solutions, we are proud to offer innovative VOIP solutions and phone service with industry-leading hardware including VOIP providers like Fanvil and YeaLink. We customize VOIP packages to support an array of industries, including finance, education, healthcare, manufacturing, and more. Contact our office today to learn more about this service.